Two types of courses are offered by Solar Nova Scotia, and there are two ways to find out about upcoming courses:
- Check Solar Nova Scotia's "Upcoming" Events (on the right-hand side of this page), or, we can tell you when they're scheduled; just
- send a note to Solar Nova Scotia to be added to our mailing list
Solar Shelter Course
Solar Nova Scotia offers a practical, how-to course on designing and building solar shelter, including greenhouses, solaria, additions and especially solar homes. The course is intended for the general public and for those in design and construction. The main instructor is one of Canada's most experienced solar designer-builders, Don Roscoe.
The courses are offered as a whole-weekend, or one night a week for six weeks in various locations. Chartered courses can be arranged for groups.
- Solar Basics for electricity, active thermal solar for hot air and hot water, and passive solar.
- Climate Control for comfort and health, energy and the environment.
- Site Designing: working with nature, creating microclimates and integrating the shelter.
- Shelter Designing: bringing you, your needs, and your site together.
- Making It Happen: costing, controlling costs, contracting, doing it yourself, and case studies.
The course fee is $80 for students, $90 for individuals and $150 for couples, and includes a handout. The textbook, Canadian Solar Home Design Manual, can be purchased at the beginning of the course or click here for how to buy the manual in advance of the course.
The Passive Solar Construction Course
Solar Nova offers a one day course covering passive solar basics, ground-frost insulation techniques, heat storage slab construction, air recirculation system layout and components, and related energy efficient construction principals and details. The instructor, Don Roscoe, has thirty-five years of experience designing and building this type of home
- Passive Solar Basics
- Ground-frost insulation techniques
- Heat Storage slab construction
- Air Recirculation System layout and components
- Related energy efficient construction principals and details
The course costs $60 individual and $40 students. The registration fee includes detailing and equipment drawings and a DVD containing the how to step by step visuals from the course.